Chronic overfishing of widely consumed fish species, utilization of non-selective fishing methods and the degradation of natural ecosystems have precipitated the imminent collapse of numerous fish populations. Consequently, the oceans are experiencing significant depletion of fish stocks, with limited initiatives in place to ensure their preservation.
Sustainable fishing encompasses a range of methods aimed at safeguarding the targeted fish population, ensuring their survival and preventing unintentional harm to their habitats. By employing such practices, we can maintain the fish populations at robust levels while minimizing adverse effects on other species within the ecosystem, including humans.
At Kallimanis, we care for the future
Our primary objective is to protect the marine ecosystem and secure adequate fish populations for future generations. We commit to actively promote sustainability and uphold internationally recognized standards for sustainable fishing through our internal protocols and practices.
Sustainable fishing operations can be defined as those conducted in a manner that encompasses the following principles:
- Prevention of overfishing
- Protection of sensitive marine species
- Avoidance of harmful fishing methods that cause significant damage to the natural environment
- Preservation of biodiversity: Recognizing the complex food chain in the oceans, efforts are made to safeguard the diverse array of species, as the disappearance of one can have negative effects on others
- Conservation of oceans through energy efficiency, chemical minimization and waste reduction
- Promotion of social and economic equity
- Assurance of full traceability, ensuring transparency and accountability throughout the supply chain
Our company’s contribution includes:
- Taking systematic measures to combat illegal and unregulated fishing.
- Advocating for selective fishing techniques to mitigate overfishing and encourage sustainable fishing practices.
- Guaranteeing traceability of fish throughout the supply chain, ensuring transparency from the fishing vessel to your plate.
- Requiring both current and prospective suppliers to provide exclusively sustainable seafood.